Shane McConkey’s Wife & Daughter Lives Saved By Carbon Monoxide Detector

McConkey Family
Sherry and Ayla McConkey. Credit: High Fives Foundation

Free skiing visionary Shane McConkey’s (1969-2009) wife and daughter, Sherry and Ayla, were saved last night by their carbon monoxide detection system in their home. Sherry, who posted on Instagram today about what had happened, said her carbon monoxide detector went off in her home late last night. She said that that the detector was old, and may have been faulty as it’d gone off randomly in the past.

– Sherry McConkey on 12/19/19 via Facebook/Instagram

The following morning, McConkey went and bought a new carbon monoxide filter for her home, only to have it go off AGAIN after installing it that same morning. It became apparent that she and her 13 year-old daughter Ayla were being poisoned.

Carbon monoxide.
A typical carbon monoxide detector. Credit: The Home Depot

She quickly reached out to the Squaw Valley Fire department who fixed the problem as it turned out that their home’s heating system was leaking carbon monoxide, an odorless gas that builds up in the bloodstream. When too much carbon monoxide is in the air, your body replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells with carbon monoxide. This can lead to serious tissue damage, or even death.

If it weren’t for her intuition to replace the carbon monoxide that morning, the McConkey’s could have faced serious consequences and possibly even death. This is why it is crucial to have a carbon monoxide detection system in your home and to make sure it is functioning properly. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and not something to take lightly.